Thursday, August 5, 2010

Athena

Then Athena, child of Zeus whose shield is thunder,
letting fall her supple robe at the Father's threshold--
rich brocade, stitched with her own hands' labor--
donned the battle-shirt of the lord of lightening,
buckled her breastplate geared for wrenching war
and over her shouldres slung her shield . . .
Then onto the flaming chariot Pallas set her feet
and seized her spear--weighted, heavy, the massive shaft
she wields to break the battle lines of heroes
the mighty Father's daughter storms against.

This passage from the Iliad struck me like Athena's aegis and I remember again why I am so enamored of Homer.  He manages to imbue with beauty the preparations for the fight.  The Aeneid's battle scenes horrified me and so I let myself become inured to them.  Homer's rendition is different--there is a humanity in his characters that draws me in despite the violence.  Perhaps I see my own potential for violence; I understand that is part of my human nature.  And I do admire Athena's confidence, misguided and overwhelming as it sometimes is and perhaps I wish for that as well.  What might my aegis look like?  That is an interesting question for my scholars come September. 

In Book V, "Diomedes Fights the Gods," the mortals are truly at the mercy of the deities who are supposed to be their protectors and it is impossible for me to not draw parallels to the current political situation.  Congress and corporations jockey for position, sacrifice one group or play one against the other--even against their peers--in the same way Zeus, Ares, Athena, Hera and Aphrodite attempt to shape the battle for their own gain or to diminish another.  Those sacrificed and those spared are at the mercy of powers that should be benevolent, but instead orchestrate the violence for personal gain.  In The Iliad the mortals are grand and glorious for they risk death; the gods have nothing to lose.  Perhaps that is why I would wear Athena's robe and shield.

No comments:

Post a Comment